Monday, July 16, 2007

Italy coming to end - and on to Germany

Well

I've been flat-out site-seeing today in Venice. Last night there was a Festival with Fireworks run to modern music - very clever & well done - although Venice is the city of love & it was thus lost on me a bit being on my own here.

I'm currently in a hotel lobby using their internet with only 24 minutes left. After that I've got to get back to my hotel and have a shower (funnily enough, hot days in a city full of water means lots of humidity).

Okay - lets see what I can cover of the last few days here (briefly) - with a more thorough update to follow later for each town.

POMPEI - Wednesday 11 July
Okay, initially I thought I'd be clever and catch the ferry, rather than the train to Pompei (my Lonely Planet did mention there was a ferry from port [x]). What it didn't say was that there were 2 primary ports in Naples and I went to the wrong one.

I did however find a castle - pretty cool for my first up close & personal (but I was there to early to go in & didn't find my way back later on).

After this I then tried to catch the public transport to the other port - eventually successful only to be told "not today, come back tomorrow" - bugger.

I made my way back to the train station - fairly tired by this time (around 10am - I was up at like 5am though). Got a package tour (train plus admission plus guide) and again it was the right thing to do.

Arrived at Pompei station - the entrance is only about 500 metres from the station which is good - leaves all your energy for walking around the site.

POMPEI ROCKS - I highly suspect that it may be the best bit of my entire trip - it will definately be in my top 5 things that I did (yes I will make up some of these lists when I get back home). If you are interested in how they built things that long ago, GO TO POMPEI (or the other less well known dig that I can't remember right now (Rebecca please write in with the name - starts with a H).

I'll tell you more about it later - need photos I took to help with story.

Milan - Thursday 12 July (arrive) and 13 July (explore)
Travelled from Naples to Milan by train - all worked out well and found Victor without to much trouble (except that wheels on armour bag have completely died now and its just being dragged along -will probably have to be replaced before I get home (sorry dear)).

Victor makes me realise just how casual we are with our SCA in Australia - he really doesn't like the idea of any mundanity at an event (he was commenting that he wasn't sure if he wanted to go to Pennsic because he heard they used trestle tables - I let him know that it would be a much bigger shock than just that).

Anyhow, we went out dinner that night, and then a bar he is known well at.

Next day out wandering Milan - I'll talk more later, but the differences between Naples & everywhere else were starting to become very apparent (cleaner, friendlier, more complete).

More to follow later.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home