Friday, July 13, 2007

Naples - not pretty

Okay - aside from the crazy Italians & their scary driving, Naples has other things that make it not worth going to.

Currently there is a long running garbage "dispute". It involves the mob so I'm really not sure, however their is rubbish everywhere. If it does not get resolved soon they are likely to have a mouse or rat plague.

The piles of rubbish lining the side of the roads are occasionally torched & the fires are left to burn (the fire brigade doesn't do anything).

On my arrival there was a fire burning on the side of the road (it had spread to be a grass fire along the verge). The next morning when we came past, a powerline pole was leaning into the middle of the road (the bottom of the pole was still smoldering).

When we returned that evening, the pole was no longer a danger to traffic as it had shortened by several feet. It still had not been attended to when I left.

The next day (Tuesday), a pile of rubbish nearby was on fire. I was still smoldering this morning when I was on my way to the Navy base.

Rome is okay, Pompei was great, but Naples is worth missing.

Cheers

Hanbal

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This one made me smile. Even when their not having a garbage dispute there isn't much to recommend about visiting Naples......well apart from Pompeii which is fantastic.

I had the same reaction when I was there in 2003.

21 July 2007 at 5:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home