Saturday, July 14, 2007

Catching up - Rome

Okay - haven't been writing much cause I've been busy walking around taking photos & stuff.

Now for a bit more detail about my travels - finally have the chance to take the time, upload a number of photos etc.

Rome (Tuesday, 10 July 2007)

Okay, caught an early train to Rome from Naples (had to get up early every morning I was in Naples as I had to get lifts with Matt each morning and being the US Navy he has to be in early).

Arrived in Rome & wandered out into the street (with all the other tourists (both Italian & foreign). Considered catching the tourist bus, but as I didn't have the correct change the lady wouldn't let me on - so instead I started off on foot in the direction of the Coluseum (please excuse any typos in place names throughout this blog).

After only walking a couple of city blocks, it was very evident that Obelix was correct "These Romans are crazy!" The drive just as crazily as the Napolese and they park literally everywhere (traffic islands, scooters parked between cars so the cars cannot move at all - hopefully the picture makes this clear).

Anyhow, continued on & found this lovely large ancient building, the "Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore". This building was originally named the "Santa Maria della Neve" and was built by Pope Liberius in 352 AD (after the Virgin Mary instructed him to build a church on the spot where snow next fell. As you can see it is a very impressive structure. I had to go across the street to take the photo (and had to wait for there to be no buses in the way).

I continued on. The main road turned away from the direction I wanted to go, so I took to the back streets and found one of those typical side streets we see in the movies - with the very long & steep stairs.

I came to this nice park where was a number of ancient ruined buildings, as well as a strange German fellow speaking earnestly to a pidgeon (which was sitting down, facing him & patiently listening).

And then I found the Colluseum. And it really does make you feel small and reminds you how clever the ancients that built it were. I got the same sense of "smallness" that I had when I walk past the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground). Have a look at the size of the people in front of it - the arches are huge.

First I saw it through the trees, then I approached and walked around it (noting the very long queue inside which I may now have to face).

Got around to the entrance and had a giggle to myself. There were a number of "Roman Legionaires" in full costume wandering around, trying to get paid to be in photos with tourists (and being ignored by most). The guy that I ended up having a photo with was on his mobile 10 mins earlier - talk about anachronistic.

Anyway - the tour commenced & we proceeded inside. The main thing we learned was that the building that we know (& love) today is nothing compared to how it looked in its hayday. All the columns were covered in marble. There were marble seats around the whole gallery (this example has been rebuilt using materials recovered onsite).

The other thing that came out of it was that the entire floor was a "wooden" stage floor, with cleverly constructed trap doors - and it was just kept covered in sand. They have recreated part of it as shown in this last photo of the coluseum.

When I left I just started wandering south (hoping to get to the catacombs but not really expecting to as they were a long way & it was a hot day). I did experience lots of back streets and see many old buildings (most of Rome is old buildings that have been adapted to modern uses).

Having travelled as far from the centre as I really wanted in a southly direction, I jumped on the underground & went to the Vatican. Had a quick look, took a few photos & moved on.

I then wandered past the Pantheon & then made way back to the train station & then "home" to Naples.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Lorenzo said...

Hiya Hanbal

You seem to be having a great time. Am jealous.

15 July 2007 at 5:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home