Saturday, August 11, 2007

Pennsic coming to a close

Hi all

Sorry I've been so quiet - but there is so much to do (and lots of sitting around in the shade idling during the day).

Pennsic is huge, fun, strange, odd, full of joy, exhilerating, bizare & bazaar.

I have been having lots of fun.

Fighting
The fighting started on the first Wednesday (before that there was just pick-ups). I entered several pole-arm tournaments and did far better than I thought I would. Met lots of fighters, had lots of fun and made new friends. When planning my Pennsic trip I was warned and headed that warning not to try and do everything - this worked well.

Then come Sunday, the real wars started (or maybe Monday). I fought in the Fort battle, Great wall battle, field battle, Allied Champions field battle and the Woods battle. I missed the Bridge battle this morning - body a bit to sore and tired.

As Lochac's Royalty did not attend Pennsic, Lochac has been fighting with the forces of the West Kingdom, led by their King, Jade. He has been incredibly generous in his praise for every fighter under his command and I have found several great things that I will definately do if I ever become King (which my lady has suggested would be a lovely way to return to Pennsic in a few years - this time together). I have been made a Defender of the West (all those who fought with the King of the West were made such). Pretty cool title.

The fighting was great, especially in the field & woods battles you really got a feel for the huge numbers involved.

One of the greatest things about the battles is that they are all started and completed by the firing of several black powder cannons - they are awesome (especially if you happen to be close to them when they go off as I was yesterday at the end of the woods battle).

Partying

Every night there are several parties on - most people are very friendly (especially once you say G'day) and I have made lots of friends just wandering around.

During the first week the primary party place is called Vlad's (now just to explain, Pennsic is huge - est. 12,000 people at full numbers - and there are many people who come and have nothing to do with the war or fighting - many of these live down the bottom of the site around the lake (called "The Bog"). Vlad's is down there and basically is a party house for the first week of the War. This year they were celebrating 20 years of Vlad. On the Thursday they had Drag Races, Mud wrestling and then a wet toga competition - brilliant.

Probably the best party that I attended however was West Kingdoms Viking Luau. A short way into it, the heavens opened up in a serious storm (again, we've had many). However, instead of dampening the party, the drummers who had just arrived started drumming and everyone just started dancing or at least partying harder than they had been - it was brilliant.
I did pause during the party to attend the Kingdom of Calontir party - their's was much quieter but did involve a 5 hole minature golf course using a number of Scutums.

Merchants

The variety of stuff available was stupendous - unfortunately being limited in both cash and weight allowances I have been very restrictive in what I'm buying.

I did buy my new helmet though - a German Onion helmet with both a "mail slot" closed face and also a bar gril (interchangable and hinged). Fairly good deal.

The merchants are all very cool and you can often learn stuff from them (especially those who make stuff) without needing to buy.

-----------------------

Well - that's about all for the moment, but if anyone has any questions or queries, let me know.

I leave in 2 days - tomorrow will be a lot of packing up the campsite, and then I'll be staying with some people in Pittsburgh before flying on to Vancouver.

Cheers

Hanbal

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad that you have been able to meet so many new and different people. So now that you have met Jade King of the West what did you think of his fighting style....

11 August 2007 at 7:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give us some more photos with you in them Simon!! (And if there are pretty girlies hanging off your arm... even better!) - DevoDave

13 August 2007 at 9:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home