Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Europe & Pennsic at last...

Well

I've been quiet online for quite a while - my apologies, but I just wasn't inspired to write about my life.

Now I am.

I am now into planning my overseas trip for July & August this year.

First 2 weeks of August (from 29 July) will be at Pennsic - the ultimate SCA event of 10,000+ people - wars of thousands, a 3 mile long market & a new helmet that I haven't met (or even decided upon) just waiting for me. Then a couple more weeks in the USA before winging home (possibly a stop-over on the way home).

Before that however, will be 3 or so weeks in Europe.

So, to start I decided to write to the good folk of the Kingdom of Drachenwald (Yep, in our world it's all one Kingdom).

It has only been 48 hrs since I sent out my post to a number of seneschals & contact people across their fine Kingdom & already I've secured a couple of nights in Milan, on the border of Wales & England as well as possibly a couple in Venice.
And - I'll be fighting in the mighty city of York - that's just cool.

So you can get a real feel for this, below is copy of the message that I sent out overseas.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings from Lochac & contact re: wayfaring

G'day

My name is Hanbal Reis al Barbary (MKA Simon Hoad). I live in Stormhold (Melbourne), in the Kingdom of Lochac (Australia) I am travelling to Europe this July (2007) on my way to Pennsic.

I am seeking guidance, advice & assistance (crash space) for my travels to Europe (I have never been there before). I am also interested in any events that may be on or trainings that I might be able to attend. I have been in the SCA for about 12 years - involved in heavy & rapier combat (only bringing my heavy armour).

I did send an email to the Kingdom Seneschal last Tuesday, but haven't had any response & am looking for some feedback sooner rather than later to plan out my basic travels so that I can book tickets early.

My interests are in Roman & Medieval architecture, historical places (medieval + modern (such as the Normandy beaches & the Rhine river)), nature (fauna & flora) from different areas (I like the bush here, but believe you have very different environments over there).

I will expect to be in Europe between 10 July 2007 & 28 July 2007. I am very interested in travelling to following places but welcome any suggestions you may have (Rome, Venice, Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Normandy, London, York, Wales, Dover).

I look forward to hearing from you soon & seeing you in July.

Kind regards

Hanbal Reis al Barbary
hanbal_reis@yahoo.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well - only 48 hrs & already some great response - this has really re-confirmed my respect & love for the great people that make up the SCA.

I am really excited about this trip & welcome any feedback or suggestions that anyone might have - I tend to work on the basis of obtaining lots of information from many sources & then making a decision based on the whole (but it may not always appear that way).

Cheers

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Hanbal said...

I like to meet people & figured that lining up accommodation was the easiest way (& the travel people want an itinerary before they can organise anything).

So this way, I'll still get to see people but will have "instant" friends in the area & won't be lonely.

It is unlikely that I will have met any of these people before - but lifes not exciting if you don't take a few risks.

Ute is not travelling with me - I am travelling on long-service leave - she hasn't earned hers yet.

7 March 2007 at 8:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home