Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Monthly Bash roundup

Well - another Bash came & went last Sunday. Good turnout dispite the uncertain weather (which held out in the end until we were packing up).

Tournament format seemed to work well (single kill, double elim with melees between each round that those eliminated could continue to fight in).

My fighting was pretty poor on the day - my lack of regular training is starting to show (especially against some of those who are training regularly (although I did kill Sir Hugh in one of the melee's). My "feel good on the day" counts more towards whether I have a good day or not.
Well, if I get this new job then I might be able to get to a weekly training - which would be good.

The archery tournament worked very well - all fighters really enjoyed the mini woodlands combat area (against the foot of the cliff) - however we won't be doing it again as best of 3 - I had forgotten how much that sort of terrain can wear you out.

Ok - I just realised re-reading above that those who don't know the sight this will mean nothing. Over the last few years, combat in Stormhold has died off - due to various influences & reasons. I have recently approached the Baron & Baroness & offered to try & add a little more planning & programming (with diversity) to the combat at Monthly Bash and thus make it more attractive for the various SCA combatants across Melbourne to attend. This is a start - we'll see how things go over the next few months. The venue we use for our Monthly Bash tournaments is an old quarry - John Gardiner Reserve, Auburn road, Hawthorn, Vic. One of the few venues that allow us to hire & practice targe & combat archery. As it has been turned into an oval it is good for regular target archery but lacks a little in "terrain" for combat archery, melee's & war's. That is - until the last few years, when all the small bushes at the base of the cliff face have been allowed to grow wild & big. Now we have a "mini-woods" that runs along the bottom of the cliff face - varying from 10 to 15 metres wide & probably 100 metres in length over all, all containing various levels of woods (some thick / some more open) with jutting cliff faces & uneven footing to add to the challenge. The archers who partook all enjoyed it immensely & I am sure they'll be back.

That's all I can think of for the moment.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cap'n!

Can I have permission to publish your blog link in my livejournal?

Keep writing, and I'll keep reading. :)

15 November 2006 at 9:46 am  
Blogger Hanbal said...

Oh yes, young ave del mas - of course you may.

15 November 2006 at 12:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home